Friday, 9 July 2010

3foot People

Chelmsford's 3foot People Festival ... one of the most adventurous, brave, utterly fun, wacky and inspiring events I've come across - for children under 5. It presents quite a challenge, coming up with original and creative art activities for children that little. Especially if you're accustomed to children who can speak and hold a pencil. Two years ago I tried experimental printing, had a wonderful time and made an incredible mess. I thought I'd conserve on mess factor this time and use watercolours to create 'Secret Paintings'. An idea that went down so well that Dawn and I spent Wednesday evening drawing another 500 pictures in candle wax. It was great to give youngsters a chance simply to paint, and yet still enjoy the magic of a picture appearing beneath it. 700 children later ... yes, I think it was worth it!