Monday, 23 August 2010

Someday ... Longing in London

In a glorious afternoon of exhibition ambling, I found Charlene Lam in a cosy corner of her exhibition at Craft Central ... as an ex-pat in London, she's exploring her relationships with New York and with London and between the two, but you can tell she's as devoted to London as we all are. Two joyous discoveries for me ... she strolls along the banks of the Thames at low tide, and collects all sorts of ceramic goodies, but most incredibly, thousands and thousands of pipe pieces - as in smoking pipes. Put together they look incredibly beautiful. Apparently pottery was the plastic of the past - and just as disposable. Her collections remind me of wandering through the woods as a child and collecting the empty bullet cartridges ... and of my brother collecting smoothed down coloured glass on the beach.

The other joyous discovery: she's another fan of envelope interiors! She has an array of boxes wrapped neatly in inside-out envelopes. I feel that perhaps I should start a club of people who share the joy of envelopes!