Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Miro at Tate Modern

An exhibition about someone as famous as Joan Miro ... well, you think you'll be visiting only old friends, but there are always surprises! Sometimes I feel as if I've spent so much time appreciating Miro that I'm tired of him, like over-listening to a favourite CD. But at Tate Modern, I discovered the joys of his early works, falling somewhere in the ether between the naivity of Rousseau and the bizarreness of De Chirico. This is 'Vegetable Garden and Donkey', painted in 1918.'Barcelona Series' made me long for a day to examine these alone - always my challenge in big exhibitions. And I had never come across his 'Burnt Canvases' before. Somehow the gaping spaces work well for Miro, as another kind of flat shape amongst the ones he is so famous for. And to finish with a bang, he painted the windows of the Association of Architects. So in his lengthy career, he clearly kept up with the times!