Monday, 6 February 2012

Grayson Perry and Alan Measles

I took myself on a date last week. A date with Grayson Perry and Alan Measles, at the British Museum. Lovely to finally meet them both! It's inspiring to visit an exhibition where the curating is as intriguing as the pieces on display, and it suits me perfectly to visit British Museum objects through the eyes of an artist. I don't think I learnt an atom of history, but I thought a lot about the significance and meaning of things, whether they centred on the idolatry of Alan Measles, Grayson's teddy bear, or the illustrated stories of ancient cultures.

One of the main observations I left with, was the realisation that so few of Grayson's works are crafted by himself, causing me to question whether he is really the craftsman? But at least he raised the question, by naming the steelcasters and weaving workshops who created his pieces. I think this was his point exactly. Nobody knows who made the British Museum objects - they are the works of 'The Unknown Craftsman'.