Monday, 20 August 2012

Bridesmaids' Gifts

Our wedding owed a lot to the marvel of modern Britain that is charity shops. Knowing that something shared between my bridesmaids and myself was a value of finding the perfect bargain, as well as the satisfaction of knowing that you've bought something beautiful without adding to the creation of more junk for our world, I wondered whether it was too cheeky to give them carefully selected gifts from charity shops. I decided, with a bit of thought, that they'd appreciated it!IMG_4110 Early on, I found a brooch, which throughout the wedding preparations became something of a talisman for me. I was fascinated by the unusual clasp, and its style seemed to represent everything we were considering for our wedding. I didn't wear it, because it remained an idea that I could give it as a gift. But only if I found a second, equivalent gift could I give them to my bridesmaids.
Well, thankfully I did. And I took great joy in making each a piece of felt with a small hidden pocket and a note of thanks tucked inside, before clipping each brooch to the felt and packing it into a matchbox.