Sunday, 17 March 2013

Harry Ellam at Sands Films Studio

When visiting my friend in Rotherhithe a few weeks ago, she took me to visit a film studio based just around the corner.  Sands Films focuses on period dramas, and on display in the ancient, enticing ground floor of the building, bewitched by beams and stacks of archives, was an exhibition of costumes embroidered by Harry Ellam, an accountant turned embroiderer who has now passed away.
I was bewitched!  The discovery of a new place tucked down a quiet street, so full of mystery and atmosphere, added to which was the incredible meticulousness and the patience of a man who was both a scientist and an artist, made my day.  From slippers, to blouses, to bags and buttons, the inspiration was magical and I need to go back for a little longer ... with a sketchbook.