Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Madge Gill and Cyanotypes

IMG_6258 IMG_6265 For an upcoming exhibition about the work of Madge Gill, I was asked to work with a group of children to create Madge Gill inspired fabric that could be transformed into a dress for display. The monocolour of cyanotypes struck me as the ideal way to interpret her work. The children recreated dreams that they'd had, traced them onto acetate and allowed the sun to transfer them onto fabric. I loved the way the work of each child harmonised on the big pieces above, and we still managed to give each person their own piece to take away.
IMG_6252 IMG_6268 IMG_6253 IMG_6262
I remain an eternal fan of the imaginative drawing of children. Above, the sense of design, space and proportion of sisters Jasmine and Kira particularly caught my eye.