Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Beautiful Books for Children

Having a baby provides me with the perfect excuse to indulge my love of beautiful children's books.  But over the past few years, it's dawned on me that often the books that I find most beautiful are not necessarily the books that children go for themselves.  What I admire is a beautiful and creative visual style, and it seems to me that children often go for more representational imagery - entirely understandable that they are excited by things they can recognise.

Discussing this with a friend the other day we observed as well that characters with big eyes are often the most popular with children - of course, eyes are surely one of the first things they engage with.  So I filled a page of my sketchbook (not worth sharing, I'm afraid!) with creatures with huge eyes ...

Anyway, I thought I'd disregard these thoughts completely and share a few of the gorgeously illustrated (in my, terribly grown up, opinion) books that I come across.  Starting with these two ...

A Lion in Paris by Beatrice Alemagna - this is a beautiful book, I could share every page!  I love the distortion of imagery, the mix of drawing and collage, and the wonderful character of the lion who follows through each page.

And I was rather delighted to come across a series of 'Babylit' board books - again, surely more to be appreciated by the grown ups than the children but whyever not?  And since Feets' maternal grandfather is nicknamed Huck, she of course had to get him The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as a gift!