Friday, 31 October 2014

In Celebration of the Gothic

A complete treat of a day out, Liam, Feets and I went to see Terror and Wonder: The Gothic Imagination at the British Library.  I wasn't sure what to expect - I don't think of myself as a big fan of the macabre, but we anticipated a good cross over of our interests.

Well, it was a fabulous, rich, comprehensive exhibition that left me determined to read a sequence of books that have never previously taken my fancy, and with another new list of favourite illustrators.  I will never entirely understand the singular focus on the dark and sinister, but you can't fault the imagination of writers, artists and filmmakers in the gothic tradition!

A few artists I noted ...
Leonard Baskin, illustrated some poems by Sylvia Plath.  This is Death Among the Thistles
Jim Kay - I can't find the picture from the exhibition, but the weight and extremes of black and white in his illustrations is incredible.

That's all for now, but there was of course a glorious reunion with Harry Clarke, Dulac, Rackham and Aubrey Beardsley.  The temptation to return to monochrome is excruciating!