Sunday, 20 March 2016

The Venice Chronicles

I've just been on another 'graphic novel' adventure. With the library closing, I thought I'd max out my card on this expensive and risky literary form ... and I hit jackpot!  I chose The Venice Chronicles by Enrico Casarosa because I liked the illustration style on the cover.  And for pages 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ... I wasn't sure.  It was a rambling without narrative, directionless internal monologue with out a strong sense of place or character.
And then, before I knew it, I'd slipped into it.  Into this fabulous form of drawing a personal diary - not just a diary of what he did from day to day, but a diary of past, present (and future?!), and a diary, like any interesting diary, of personal reflections, self-analysis, existentialism and wondering.  The power and skill of creating this visually blew my mind.  And, as an artist, it was of course a sketchbook too - random tangents into an obsession with small Italian cars, for example.

And then ... just to keep me on my toes, he went virtual.  He sent me to sketchcrawl.com and now I just have to insist on my family all doing a sketchcrawl one day.  And he showed me a video, and opened up the whole of his creative world.

So now I want to go to Venice.  And keep a visual journal.