Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Jo Brocklehurst

I had never heard of Jo Brocklehurst, but of course I popped into her exhibition when I went to the House of Illustration.  And she's fabulous!  Booming portraits, popping off the wall, a great sense of character, adventure and play.  She particularly painted the punks of her neighbourhood, leading to paintings that explode with attitude (I notice that, though every pose is different, eyes are looking up in faces that display attitude!), bold black and white, neon, gold ...
And the last room of the exhibition was dedicated to her re-enactment and casting of Alice in Wonderland, using clubbers and punks, people who make and accessorise their own clothes, as models.  She then invited people to 'tea' and lit her work up with UV light.  I found this, fun, fascinating and inspiring.  I don't generally tend to create full-scale performance / installations like this (perhaps time, space, money, audience are all hindrances!) but I LOVE to see them!