Sunday, 4 June 2017

Utterly Inspirational Children's Books

Some of our favourite books, I have read so often that I can read the entire thing to Feets, voices and all, without thinking about what I'm doing, and my mind drifts into figuring out how such beautiful illustrations were created. And the common theme among my favourite books is watercolour - creative and with mixed media, but almost always using watercolour. We are very happy, Feets and I, sharing a cuddle, and each in our own world enjoying something beautiful. I should add that a good story is an even more essential criteria (of course) and all these stories win on both fronts!

Here is just a sample of the techniques that have caught my attention.
The Crow's Tale by Naomi Howarth.  Beautiful, vibrant watercolours and composition, smeared with thick black ink when the crow gets blackened by the sun.
The Very Helpful Hedgehog by Rosie Wellesley.  The most simply crafted of this collection I think, but the use of pencil to build the scraggy donkey is, I think, magical.
Puffin Peter by Petr Horacek.  Probably our most longstanding favourite - I read it three times, this morning, and we've enacted it many a time!  This book is filled with wax resist, masking fluid and collage, while utilising all the beauty of watercolour washes.
Smelly Louis by Catherine Rayner.  I've mentioned this book before, but I am never bored by the lovely mix of gentle print (backgrounds) and mixed-media squiggles to create the messiest dog around.

Interestingly, I've noticed that while many books are written by one person and illustrated by another, all of these are written and illustrated by the same person.  People who are utterly at home in their world as children's authors ...